Hayes is part of the parish of Ashton Hayes
Horton cum Peel. It
is situated about 7 miles from Chester and is close to
In 2004, the village changed its name from
Ashton because of confusion with the many other British
places of that name. You can read about the reasons for the
change in this
The village is mentioned in the
Its entry roughly translated is: In
Riseton hundred Richard de Vernon holds Ashton. Toret held it
and he was a free man. There are four hides that pay geld. There
is land for five ploughs. In the demesne there is one plough and
two slaves and two villeins and two radmen and three bordars
with two ploughs. There is a wood half a league long and one
acre wide. In the time of King Edward it was worth sixteen
shillings, now it is worth twenty shillings. He found it waste
In the eleventh century, the manor was held by the
Vernon family. The Mainwaring family owned it in the thirteenth
century and it passed through the female line to the Trussel family.
through the female line, it passed to John de Vere,
5th Earl of Oxford in the sixteenth century.
1579/80, his heir, the 7th Earl sold Ashton to Sir Christopher
It then passed through various owners but was bought in the early
nineteenth century by Booth Grey who sold it to William Atkinson
in the 1840s .
Atkinson donated the money to build the village
church which was
erected in 1848 and consecrated in 1849.
Methodist chapels were also erected in the mid nineteenth
century, a Wesleyan chapel and a Primitive Methodist chapel,
although only one remains today.
the same time a free school was built to hold sixty girls and
original school is now the Village Hall.
the estate was sold by auction by the then owner Roger
Charlton-Parr .Many of the
plots seem to have been bought by their sitting tenants with the
majority being acquired by Major Ernest Johnson who had rented
the house and much of the land.
population of the village more than doubled in the 1960s when
new housing estates were built. According
to the 1961 census, the population was 474 with 160 households.
In 1971, it
had risen to 1,013 with 350 households.
When I arrived in the village in 1967, there were three
shops. There is now only one village shop/post office.
Lane End Farm was still a working farm in the middle of the
village. Its buildings are now offices. Where the hens
scratched, there are two cottages and the cottages' garages are the
former pigsties. The bull's shed is now part of the doctors'
The local pub,
the Golden Lion serves food.
[unfortunately, the pub is closed at the moment]
Other local amenities can be found in Ashton Hayes's
Mouldsworth The Goshawk
pub opposite the Railway Station serves meals. There is now a
safe pedestrian pathway between Ashton Hayes and Mouldsworth, Please note that the telephone area code for the Goshawk is
01928 and not 01829,